Chapter 3: My Cousin an Orangutan

17:00 Unknown 0 Comments

Of Tigers, Turtles and Orangutans


DID YOU KNOW? The first blueprint of the orangutan genetic code has confirmed that they share 97 per cent of their DNA with people.


I was meeting a friend in Petaling Jaya yesterday. We were supposed to meet at 08:30 PM but I went early, so I walked around and suddenly a young girl approached me and we exchanged our Hi's. She was a good speaker, and she introduced herself and what she was doing. She was asking people around about World Wide Fund For Nature (WWF) to complete her survey or something to do with the fund itself. So, it didn't hurt to spend some time and listen to her. She was asking a few questions about WWF, wildlife, my opinion about recycle, Malaysian awareness about recycling, do I take initiatives to promote energy saving at workplace or at home, stuff like that. She talked about Malayan Tigers, Orangutans, Turtles, the endangered species and I am so glad that this girl was so passionate about this subject.

Source: wwf.worldwildlife.org

"Number of tigers have declined 97% since 1900 to as low as 3200" 
" Three of the seven existing species of marine turtle are critically endangered" 
"Orangutans habitats are being cut down for timber, or burned to make way for agriculture."


Sad isn't it? All of this happened mostly because of human activities, human greediness. We killed them for their skins, for their shells, and worst of all we do it for money? Why we stoop so low? The girl told me why we need to save Orangutans? Because they're the pollination agents for the trees to grow, and did you know where the oxygen you're breathing come from? Its obvious right, you learned your science. 

Be A Donor

To cut the story short, the girl asked me whether I am interested to be a donor for WWF to help their activities in animals and habitat conservation. I knew she would ask the question in the end but I thought this would be a good thing to do so I signup for the donation of RM1/day. It's ok to cut my daily coffee money (actually coffee costs me more than RM1) to do something for the nature. I also told the girl to give me update of any activities WWF Malaysia will be organizing so that I can be an active donor. For those of you want to learn more about WWF and if you're willing to donate for these endangered animals, You can browse through WWF Malaysia,  www.wwf.org.my

Source: wwf.worldwildlife.org
Source: wwf.worldwildlife.org
All, I wish to promote this in any way that I can. It's not much but if you have the good heart and intention to help, God willing, good thing will happen. Oh yes, a kind-hearted Mr Dionysius Sharma is fundraising for WWF-Malaysia to save the Orangutans, here is his personal challenge, www.simplygiving.com/50for50. Have a good day! 



0 comments: